Born: 1956, Israel
Ph.D.: 1994, Hebrew University.
Prayer. Talmud and Midrash. Rabbinic Thought.
1. The Non-Verbal Language of Jewish Prayer, Jerusalem: Magnes Press,
1999. Perry series (in Hebrew).
2. The Non-Verbal Language of Prayer: A new Approach to Jewish Liturgy (a
revised version of the Hebrew edition), Texts and Studies in Ancient Judaism
series, Mohr Siebeck Publication, 2004 (320 pp)
1. "Gestures of Prayer in the Time of the Mishnah and the Talmud: Modes and
Significance.” Proceedings of the Eleventh World Congress of Jewish Studies.
Jerusalem: World Union of Jewish Studies, 1994. Division C, Vol. 1: 71-78.
2. "The Significance of the three last Benedictions of the Amidah", Studies in
Honor of Professor Dov Rapal, Jerusalem 2001.
3. "The Place of the ‘Shekhina’ in the Consciousness of the Worshipper.” Tarbiz
65 (1996): 315-29, [reprinted in Hananel Mack (ed.) Studies in Jewish liturgy,
Jerusalem, Magnes Press, 2003].
4. "Language Issues as Historical Events.” Bamichlala 7 (1995): 65-72
(with E. Hazan; in Hebrew).
5. "The Location of the Shekhina in the Early Versions of the Shemone
Esre. Sidra 13 (1997): 5-23 (in Hebrew).
6. "When You Pray Know Before Whom You Are Standing.” JJS 48 (1998):
7. "On the Ancient Version of the Benediction ‘Builder of Jerusalem’ and the
Benediction of David.” Pe’amim (1999): 16-43 (in Hebrew).
8. “They Too Participated in That Miracle' - On the Transmission of an
Egalitarian Argument in the Halakhic World”, in: A Good Eye: Dialogue and
Polemic in Jewish Culture (Tova Ilan Jubilee Volume), ed. Nahem Ilan,
142-59. Hakibbutz Hameuchad, 1999 (in Hebrew).
9. “The Earliest Versions of the Amidah--The Blessing about the Temple
Worship. In From Qumran to Cairo: Studies in the History of Prayer, ed.
J. Tabory. Jerusalem: Orhot, 1999 (in Hebrew).
10. "Verbal and Non-Verbal Rituals of Leave-Taking in Rabbinic Culture -
Phenomenology and Significance.” Jewish Studies Quarterly (2001): 1-26.
11. "Another Look at the Cradle of Midrash and Aggada.” Teuda 16-17
(2001): 123-136 (Hebrew).
12. “Asking Leave (netilat reshut) and Granting of Leave (haftara),
A Chapter in the Laws of Derek Erez in: Studies in Honor of Prof. B. Sack,
Ben-Gurion University Press, Beer-Sheva, 2004, pp. 13-26 (Hebrew).
13. "An Early Version of the Gevurot, Kedushat ha-Shem, and Da‘at Blessings
According to a New Text from a Palestinian Siddur", Tarbiz (2005) (in
14. "A Complete ancient Palestinian Version of the Eighteen Benedictions Prayer
from the Cairo Genizah", Kobez Al-Yad (2005), (in print)
15. “Prayer in the Land of Israel in the Time of the Mishnah and Talmud”, in The
Talmudic literature in the Land of Israel, Yad Izhak Ben-Zvi Jerusalem
(accepted 25 pages)
16. “Prayer as Discourse and Phenomenology of Leave-Taking: the Significance of
the Ending Unit of Prayer”, in: Studies in Honor of Prof. Y. Frankel, Magnes
Press, Jerusalem, (Hebrew, in print, 25 p.)
17. “Another Look at the Question of the Original Version of the Amidah.” Proceedings
of the Twelfth World Congress of Jewish Studies (in Hebrew; in press).
A. Head of Mifal Hatefila – A National research project on the early
version of Jewish Prayer founded by the Israel Academy of Sciences and
Humanities (since 2003)
B. Prayer in early rabbinic literature – A developing computerized data base.